Monday, May 30, 2011

Cobbler

Nothing says summer to me like a cobbler made with fresh fruit.  My parents invited me over for dinner and I thought I would bring make a cobbler for dessert. I wanted to surprise my mom so I couldn't ask her for her recipe.  I could have sworn she's given it to me before but I couldn't find it in my cut and paste cookbook I've created over the years. Damn. Well after looking at about 15 different recipes online I just sort of decided to wing it.  I ended up using blackberries and peaches.


Blackberry/Peach Cobbler:
1 stick butter
1 cup self rising flour (or 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and a pinch of salt)
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A pinch of cinnamon
1 cup blackberries
1 cup peaches, cut into smaller chunks to match the size of your berries)
1 1/4 cups sugar


*Feel free to substitute 2 cups or a bit more of your favorite summer fruit. I am going to try this next with blueberries and nectarines!




  •  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt stick of butter in 2 quart oven safe dish.
  • Mix milk, flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon and sugar.  (It will be a runny batter)
  •  Pour batter into melted butter. Do not stir.
  • Drop fruit on top of batter. Do not stir. 
  • Sprinkle with a bit of sugar. 
  •  Bake for 45 minutes until golden.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.
It was a huge hit.  There is just a tiny square left for my Dad to enjoy tomorrow with coffee.  I may have had seconds. Then I may have scraped the side of the dish. What? Don't judge. Once you make it you will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment