Monday, March 18, 2013

Bo's Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins

So. I hesitate to call these muffins. I mean they are, but they are super dense almost like a granola bar, but softer.  Anyways. David has soccer games every Sunday and one of the wives on the team, Bo, makes these.  She is so thoughtful.  I had an idea to cut up oranges because that's what I remember most about playing soccer (yes, it was middle school) and we used to put them in our mouths and pretend we were monkeys. Was this just me? 

So I made a few additions like a pinch of cinnamon and chia seeds (just because I had them and thought why not?)

They are so delicious and are great for days as a quick healthy snack or yummy with coffee in the morning for breakfast.  No oil and no added sugar (except from the chocolate chips)


Everything you need

Preheat oven to 380.

Line muffin tins with cupcake papers. 
*I'd be willing to wager you could spray the tins with a bit of pam but the liners just make it so much easier to grab one and go.

Ingredients:
 3 cups oatmeal (you can either use regular old fashioned oats or steel cut oats)
*Steel cut will give the muffins a much chewier texture.  I use about 2 1/2 cups old fashioned and 1/2 cup steel cut.
4 bananas smashed
2 eggs
1 cup almond milk
2 cups chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon baking powder

Optional:
Cinnamon, just a pinch
Chia Seeds, about 2 Tablespoons



 In a large bowl:
1. Peel your bananas and get them smashed. I think a fork does the best job. You want them pretty smooth but not a puree.  

2. Add your milk and mash the bananas a bit more.  Add the remaining ingredients, saving the chocolate chips for the end. Fold chocolate chips in.



3. Scoop into muffin tins. I always use an Ice Cream Scoop to get perfectly neat portions. (One with a spring loaded handle) These will barely rise so fill them about 3/4 full. 



Bake at 380 for 20 minutes.
 


You can really add anything you want to these. I am going to try them with some coconut and blueberries next.

No comments:

Post a Comment